Updated August 18, 2021
With the number of regional COVID-19 cases increasing, the University of Michigan now requires anyone in a campus building, or on campus transit, to wear a face covering - regardless of vaccination status. The policy went into effect on August 11 to aid in protecting the U-M community from the spread of COVID-19. The policy applies across the entire university, including buildings on the Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campuses and other university-occupied properties.
As a result of this new policy, the following guidelines will be in effect for upcoming home athletic events:
- Capacities at home athletic events are not being limited or reduced.
- The indoor face covering requirement applies to all indoor spaces, including restrooms, locker rooms, press boxes, operational booths, etc., regardless of vaccination status.
- Fans will be encouraged to wear face coverings outdoors.
- For the safety of our guests and our staff, working staff will be required to wear a face covering in all indoor areas of Michigan Stadium. In addition, all concessions workers (indoors and outdoors) will be required to wear a face covering.
- This policy is subject to change. While we anticipate this policy to last throughout the duration of the fall sports seasons, please continue to check this page for updates.
Fall Sports (excluding football)
Outdoor venues (Soccer Stadium, Ocker Field)
- No face coverings are currently required for fans, with the exception of restrooms.
Indoor venues (Cliff Keen Arena, Crisler Center)
- All home volleyball matches will require fans to wear face coverings, regardless of vaccination status, unless actively eating or drinking.
Michigan Stadium (seating bowl/general outdoor areas)
- Fans are encouraged but not required to wear face coverings in any outdoor areas (entry gates, concourse, seating bowl, etc.).
- Fans are required to wear a face covering when inside restrooms and The M Den stores, regardless of vaccination status.
Michigan Stadium Premium Spaces
- When in an indoor area of the club, fans are required to wear face coverings unless actively eating or drinking.
- Once seated in an outdoor section of the club, fans are encouraged but no longer required to wear face coverings.
- When in an indoor area/transiting to a suite and inside a suite, fans are required to wear face coverings unless actively eating or drinking.
- Suite owners will be encouraged to open windows.
Final decisions on winter sports will be made closer to the start of their respective seasons.